21. The Creative Space (I)
February 23, 2016
Every creative type has opinions to offer about the process of making something that Is Not into something that Is. In the first installment of our first ever two-parter, Isaiah and Chris apply their unique brand of madcap misquoting to the mystical realm of creativity.
Have you ever lived somewhere you absolutely Could Not create? Do you ever compulsively hack away at a project for hours on end because you just can't NOT? Is creativity really un oiseau rebelle, or should we all just buckle down and do the work?
Tune in this week to hear our very own Christopher Mayell, tenor, attempt to break the world record** for most conversational instances of the word "like" within ten seconds! **Previously held by Isaiah Bell, tenor
60 minutes, 28.9 MB | Direct Download
- Article - Diary: Let’s not get physical, by Tabard | The Stage
Regarding a review of tenor Allan Clayton, who was the target of a rather sour opera review that made mention of his weight, and his glorious response on Twitter.
- Article - Glyndebourne opera critics spark 'sexism' row - BBC News
Regarding a series of reviews criticising the appearance of Glyndebourne singer Tara Erraught.
- Image - TinTin archives - Original Image
'Tintin au Congo'. Eep! Racist?
- Website - Know Your Meme - Scumbag Brain
- Website - The Importance of Rest - Feldenkrais Centre Vancouver
Not unlike the way Chris learns music best - with frequent & loving rest breaks.
- Website - 750 Words - Write every day
The premise behind this site is that you can go here and just write down 750 words a day, and will eventually have a large body of written word, created little by little.
- Website - National Novel Writing Month
- Article - Quantity Always Trumps Quality
About a pottery class in which some students sat theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay.
- Website - Brainy Quotes: J.S. Bach - "I was obliged to be industrious..."
- Website - xkcd comic - 'I Could Care Less'
- Video - 'Your Elusive Creative Genius', Elizabeth Gilbert TED Talk
- Article - 'Fear is boring, and other tips for living a creative life', TED
"If you have a creative mind, it’s a little bit like owning a border collie."
- Featured Image - Vintage Old school Piano, photo by AJ Montpetit
Used under Creative Commons CC0; modified to include text (show title, and 'Overthought' logo0